Settlement Agreements

If you have recently been involved in a dispute with your employer, or you are being made redundant then you may be invited to an ‘off the record’ discussion at which they raise the issue of a settlement or compromise agreement. You might be asked to sign a settlement agreement in exchange for an additional payment or other benefits. However, this is not always as straightforward a process as it sounds and we would recommend that to protect your best interests, you seek professional advice. This may be from your trade union representative or from a specialist employment solicitor – in which case Thomas Mansfield would be delighted to assist.

We can represent you in negotiations with your employer about the terms of the settlement agreement, including the financial compensation, ensuring that you defend your rights through what can be a highly complex process. We can also advise you on the specific terms of the settlement agreement (or compromise agreement),ensuring that you understand the limits that it will be likely to impose on any future employment tribunal claims you might make. We have an excellent track record of negotiating successful outcomes for our employee clients with settlement agreements.

Settlement agreement facts:

Employers usually provide a contribution to legal fees. In most cases, the employers’ contribution to legal fees would normally cover all our fees, which would mean that our client does not have to pay anything. We would raise an invoice in your name but mark it payable by your employer as part of the settlement and would send this directly to the employer.

  • Working with us – While we are delighted to meet up with you in person, we understand that this can be difficult. So, if you prefer, we can arrange a telephone conference with you at a convenient time. Alternatively you can come to our office in London or any of our meeting facilities in Croydon, Bromley, Reading, Kingston upon Thames, Maidstone, Crawley, Dartford or Tunbridge Wells.
  • Documents we will need to see – We need copies of the draft settlement agreement, your employment contract if you have one and any related documents. We will also need to check your identity and place of residence, so please bring a drivers licence or passport and a utility bill or bank statement showing your current address.

Initiating a settlement (compromise) agreement with us

If you would like to have an informal, no-obligations discussion of your circumstances, or to arrange a meeting/telephone call, then please call us on 03702 188 990 or e-mail us at [email protected]